Gardening kits for kiddos
- Terra cotta pots
- Shoebox or Ziploc® container
- Ziploc® brand sandwich bags
- Seeds of various plants/flowers
- Mini shovels (for fun)
- 2 Pre-portion soil into individual Ziploc® brand sandwich or snack bags - if your hands do get dirty, the easy open tabs on Ziploc® brand bags will come in handy.
- 3 Combine all materials into an old shoe box or large rectangle Ziploc®container.
- 4 Include fun little extras like mini garden gnomes for an added touch!
- 6 Set up an area that you’re ok with getting dirty. If you have a backyard—perfect! If not, put down plenty of newspaper.
- 7 Have your kids (and parents!) decorate their terra cotta pots with chalk! It’s not super permanent, but it is super fun and easy.
- 8 Fill pot ¾ full of soil. If you’re inside, putting soil into a large rectangle Ziploc® container beforehand cuts down on mess. Put the pots in the container and shovel the dirt in - much tidier than trying to shovel out of a bag of soil.
- 9 Have kids make holes in the soil with their fingers. Drop the seeds into the holes.
- 10 Cover with soil.
- 11 Water.
- 12 Watch them grow (or send them home with parents in a Ziploc® container to catch any spills).
Now-what Bird feeder
- Rice cake
- Bamboo skewer
- Peanut butter
- Pipe cleaners
- Quart sized Ziploc® brand bag filled with birdseed
- 1 Have an adult carefully poke a skewer through the cake to make a hole.
- 2 Smear peanut butter on a rice cake (remember where you put the hole) and drop into a quart sized Ziploc® brand bag filled with birdseed. Easy open tabs make it easy for little, peanut-buttery hands to open the bag.
- 3 Shake in the Quart sized Ziploc® brand bag until it’s evenly coated! (And to keep bird seed from getting everywhere.)
- 4 Insert the pipe cleaner through the hole you made and make a loop.
- 5 Hang it in a tree or send home in a Ziploc® brand bag for safe transport home.